Tuesday, March 15, 2011

There's a Coaster Right There

Okay, so... Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All, right?  How fucking good are these guys?  I realize that what with the Spin article and the Billboard Cover and the SXSW showcases (they're playing, I think, seven shows over four days) and the life-changing Jimmy Fallon performance, they're not really on the ultra-underground tip anymore, but... fuck, you guys need to get right with this.  Like, yesterday.

If yr fingers aren't cramping up from googling these dudes, let me explain... no, is too much.  Let me sum up:  Emotionally disturbed honor student from single-parent household fucks shit up so successfully that he gets sent to the most "last chance ever" alternative school around.  Learns to use garageband to make beats.  Gets his little brother and the rest of his skateboard crew to spit mind-bogglingly intricate raps about rape, satan, murder, and other classic topics over his totally fucked horrorcore beats (to be fair, a bunch of other dudes in the crew start making equally fucked beats, so it's not a total dictatorship).  And then they GIVE TEN FULL ALBUMS WORTH OF MATERIAL AWAY FOR FREE.

So now, here we are.  A media feeding frenzy is kicking off, MTV sent Sway and the Inexplicable Headwrap to do a solid eight minutes on OFWGKTA, and it's time to start giving a bunch of antisocial satanic skate rats ALL YOUR MONEY.  Are they negative?  Yes.  Are they hateful?  Yes.  Are they, as the piece above suggests, a bit... rape-y?  Um, yes.  All of that said, I would ask you, gentle reader, to remember yr own adolescence.   It was fucked the fuck up, right?  You hated the whole world and everything in it, right?  I myself would have cheerfully bombed my whole school if it meant me and my friends didn't have to suffer any more, and I was pretty well-adjusted and privileged by most standards.  So imagine how it feels to be PAINFULLY smart, epically depressed, crammed full of hormones and adrenaline, and stuck in a single-parent, broke-ass environment where the only people who understand you are yr skate buddies.  Kill people, burn shit, fuck school, right?  That's what I THOUGHT you said.

Oh, and also, don't forget that these kids are hilarious, a'ight?  Sick jokes are still jokes, and don't pretend you didn't laugh at that "The body-bag is a book, and you're Fantasia" line.  Oh, you haven't heard that one?  You better get downloading, bitch.  And send 'em some money on the iTunes, or else Kanye West is better than you.

In closing, it is my sad duty to report that the aforementioned little brother, Earl Sweatshirt (who may be, at the tender age of 16, the best overall lyricist in the crew) has been sent to "wilderness camp" by his mom.  Apparently this is some kind of Mormon Jail for restless youth (these dudes are Mormons? I don't know if I belive you, internets).  This is what happens when you let yr moms listens to yr rap album (my demos will never see the light of day, and I'm old as fuck, so I should be safe). FREE EARL.

No comments:

Post a Comment